Monday, December 03, 2007
modified elisa's nest tote

My modifications to Elisa's Nest Tote - no purling, seams or kitchener stitch!

Yarn:


Lily Sugar 'n Cream (2.5 oz) - I used less than 2 balls

Needles:

DPNs size US 10 1/2
24" circular size US 10 1/2
DPNs size US 8 for straps

Bag:

With two size 10 1/2 DPNs, Eastern/Turkish cast-on 74 sts; yo to make 75 sts; pm and distribute sts to as many DPNs as necessary; start with Round 2 of pattern (the cast-on is Round 1):

Round 1: knit
Round 2: k1, *yo, k2tog, repeat from * to end of round
Round 3: knit
Round 4: *ssk, yo, repeat from * to last st, k1

Repeat the four pattern rounds, switching to circular needle as needed, until bag is about 12" long. I ended on Round 4. Bind-off loosely. When I knit in the round, I like to get rid of the gap between the first and last st of the bind-off by using a yarn needle to create another stitch**

I-cord Straps:

With size 8 DPNs, Eastern/Turkish cast-on 12 sts, but put bottom 6 sts on stitch holder (I use a safety pin). Pick up a st on the top border of the bag and begin applied I-cord as described in the pattern. Continue around the top of the bag. My I-cord was 50 rounds but it gathered the top of the bag too much and made the opening of the bag pretty small, so I would recommend picking up more stitches to keep the opening larger. With RS facing, three-needle BO with the 6 sts on holder.

Repeat for other strap. Weave in ends.

**Here's how I close the gap between the first and last BO stitches when knitting in the round:


With yarn needle on the end you just pulled through the last BO stitch, go under the two loops of the first BO stitch:


Then back into the last BO stitch:


Looks like just another stitch between the two BO stiches:



4 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

I need help! I am knitting this tote at the moment, but I have been doing several rows and am somehow decreasing stitches. I started with 41 and now have 35. Do you know what I would be doing wrong? The way I read row 4 (ssk, yo etc.) is slip two stitches and knit these into one, then put yarn over, then the ssk again, etc. Does this seem right?

Blogger edina said...

Is it possible that you might have accidentally dropped some stitches? It's easy to do when there are yarnovers involved! It sounds like you're reading the pattern correctly: ssk is a decrease and yo is an increase, so there should be no changes to the stitch count. Let me know if you need more clarification on any of those stitches.

I have been wanting to make one of these I have added you to my blog friends I really like your blog.Darcy

Very cool Edina! Thanks for posting all your recommendations for pattern improvement

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer